Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Squash Pepper and Sausage Quiche

My parents came into town for family weekend, and I made them Sunday brunch, which involved this quiche. This was a definite crowd pleaser, but I suppose I wasn't 100% satisfied with it because I've been cooking so gourmet (at least for my standards) recently, but it's a super solid recipe, used tons of fresh, in season stuff (my parents took me to the farmers market when they were in town!!! fridge.veggies = full; ) Perhaps the fact that I used pre-made things (the sausage) is what bothered me. I dunno, but I originally wasn't going to blog about this, but my parents and friends who tasted it all agreed that it should be blogged about, so here it is!


This quiche is one of the few Ann-originals. No recipe (besides the crust recipe) was used : D But it is really nice to know that even if I go off of the books, I can still produce something delicious ^_^ Finally getting to that point in my cooking career. So, much more to come!

Squash Pepper and Sausage Quiche

Ingredients:
1 pie crust,  blind-baked (I used Martha Stuart’s recipe)
1 yellow squash (or zucchini), shredded
4 "sausage" patties (I used Morning Star)
4 eggs
1/2 cup milk (or cream)
1 handful fresh basil, torn
1 - 2 small red bell peppers, cored, seeded, and sliced length-wise
2 Tbs. + 1 tsp. oil, divided
salt and pepper

Instructions:
1. Pre-heat oven to 350F.
2. Heat 2 table spoons on medium-low heat. Place shredded squash in the skillet, sprinkle evenly with salt, and saute for 10 minutes until most all of the water has leeched out and evaporated, stirring often. Then turn heat up to medium, and cook until caramelized. Set aside on a plate.
3. Heat a teaspoon of oil in a skillet on medium heat. Crumble the sausage patties and fry until caramelized on all sides.
4. Whisk the eggs and milk together, then whisk in the salt, pepper, and basil. Add in the sausage crumbles and squash, and pour mixture into the pie crust. Use a brush (or you finger) to dip into the quiche mix and coat the crust.
5. Arrange the red pepper slices on the top in a circle (I made an inner and outter circle with most-all the curved parts of the peppers overlapping).
6. Cover with tin-foil and bake for 30 minutes, then uncover, and bake until crust and top of the quiche is golden-brown. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment