The last of my recent deep-frying adventures. These are truly amazing with Gutherie's Sauce.
Note: for the buttermilk, I used the sour cream watered down with milk until buttermilk consistency is reached substitute.
Fried Green Tomatoes
from Dash of East
2 medium-sized green tomatoes, cut into 1/3" slices
1 cup buttermilk (or substitute)
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 tsp. pepper
2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. cumin
oil for deep frying
1 recipe Gutherie's Sauce (recipe here)
1. Fill oil to specified line in deep fryer and heat.
2. Sprinkle salt on both sides of tomato slices and set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, beat an egg. Add buttermilk, and mix well.
4. In another medium bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, pepper, sugar, paprika, and cumin and mix well.
5. Wipe of excess salt from the tomato slices.
6. Dip each tomato slice first into butter milk mixture, and then into flour mixture. Repeat with each slice for a double coating.
7. Once the oil has come to temperature, drop slices in and cook until outside is golden-brown. Serve hot with Gutherie's Sauce.