Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese with Walnuts
adapted from Pinch of Yum
makes 6 servings
1/2 butternut squash
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup toasted walnuts + more for garnish
salt and pepper
1 lb. whole wheat rotini
1 large yellow onion, diced
2 Tbs. butter
3 oz. cream cheese
2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded + more for garnish
1-2 cups. vegetable broth (as needed)
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 F.
2. Halve the squash, scoop out the seeds, then cut into large chunks. Place the chunks in a baking pan, fill pan half way up with boiling water, and bake for 1 hour, or until fork-tender. Remove from oven and allow to cool for a bit.
3. Scrape out the flesh and purée with the milk. When squash is smooth, add the walnuts and purée until walnuts are coarsely chopped throughout. Salt and pepper to taste.
4. Cook pasta according to directions.
5. Melt butter in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Add onions and sauté for several minutes until onions are golden and translucent. Stir in squash purée and cream cheese, and combine. Turn the heat off, and stir in the cheddar cheese until combined.
6. Combine pasta and squash/cheese mixture, adding vegetable broth as needed for getting the right consistency. Serve with extra cheese and toasted walnuts to garnish.