This is a great easy take on the classic. I highly recommend watching the video before making. Honestly with slicing, I would say this recipe makes about 6 servings.
Made this for my friend and her family, and the picky kids ate it up! Will definitely make again in the future.
Chicken Cordon Bleu Bake
4 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
salt & pepper
1 Tbs. garlic powder
1 Tbs. onion powder
16 slices Emmental cheese
8 slices ham
2 sheets puff pastry
1. Combine salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder in a large bowl. Toss in all four chicken breasts, and coat each well with the spices.
2. Lay out a long stretch of plastic wrap and put one breast on the wrap. Pull side of wrap to cover breast, such that there's space to expand all around chicken. Using a rolling pin, pound chicken breast until 1/2" even thickness. I found pounding lengthwise, and then widthwise was easiest. Do this for all 4 breasts.
3. Take one flattened breast, peel back the plastic. Place 2 slices of cheese on the flattened breast to cover length-wise, 2 slices ham the same, then another 2 slices cheese. From one end, firmly roll up chicken breast keeping the slices in their position. Recover breast with plastic, and roll holding two ends of the plastic wrap to wrap chicken tight. Do this for all breasts. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
4. Take one sheet of puff pastry, cut down middle to make two equal pieces. Take one of the pieces, and roll out with rolling pin until wide enough to completely cover a chicken breast roll. Do this with each of the pieces of puff pastry.
5. Pre-heat oven to 400F.
6. To finish assembly, take one of the rolled out pieces of puff pastry, lightly brush on mustard on entire surface. Place chicken breast in the middle, and wrap with puff pastry, pinching seams together in middle and folding edges underneath. Place on cooking pan. Do this for all of the breasts.
7. Lightly score puff pastry on tops with a fork. Beat egg in a small bowl, and brush all exposed puff pastry with egg.
8. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until interior temperature is 165F.
9. After taking out of oven, let cordon's sit for 10-15 minutes before cutting into. Slice thickly, and serve fanned out on a plate with a light salad.