Great and complex beer flavor. If you enjoy *good* beer, this recipe is for you.
Mac and Beer Cheese
from the Beeroness
3 Tbs. olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 fresh jalepeno, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 Tbs. butter
1/4 cup flour
1 Tbs. corn starch
2 cups unfiltered-wheat beer (I used Boulevard Wheat)
2 cups vegetable broth
2 cups cheddar, freshly grated + more for garnish
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. smoked paprika
1.5 cups elbow macaroni
1. Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large pot. Add onion and jalapeño, and cook until softened, stirring frequently (about 5 minutes). Add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds, until fragrant.
2. Add in the butter and stir until melted. In a separate bowl, combine flour and corn starch. Sprinkle on top of the melted butter and whisk/stir until combined.
3. Add the beer and broth and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer. Sprinkle cheese in small-handful at a time (1/2 cup about), stir until cheese is melted in, and then add more until all cheese is incorporated.
4. Add the salt, pepper, and paprika and stir to combine. Add in macaroni noodles, and cook until noodles are al dente.
5. Add additional beer or broth to thin to desired consistency. Serve with extra grated cheese to garnish.