This was incredibly delicious. Truly worthy of a French patisserie. I estimated that I'd sell this for 15 Euro (or 20 USD), assuming I'm buying all ingredients and making these tarts in bulk. : D
Pear and Almond Tart
from Yasmine's Kitchen
5 ripe, firm pears
4 cups water
1 cup granulate sugar
1 vanilla bean, split with seeds saved
juice and zest of a lemon
1 recipe pâte sablée (recipe here)
1 recipe frangipane (recipe here)
sliced almonds to garnish (optional)
1. Peel pears, slice lengthwise, and core and remove stem. Cover pears evenly in lemon juice.
2. Fill a pot with the water and boil (enough to cover the pears), add sugar and vanilla pod and seeds and lemon zest. Stir until sugar dissolves.
3. Rinse pears and add to the boiling syrup.
4. Poach pear until soft (when you insert knife, there's no resistance). Take off heat and cool completely.
5. Pre-heat oven to 350 F.
6. Take cooled tart crust, and spread fragipane evenly into it.
7. Remove poached pears from syrup and place on doubled paper towles to absorb extra moisture.
8. Slice pears crosswise (shown above) or lengthwise, and fan-out on top of the frangipane.
9. Sprinkle (optional) almonds on top, cover with tin foil and bake for 20 minutes, uncover, and bake for another 25-30 or until frangipane sets.