One of my favorite things I've made this semester. Healthy, in season, delicious.
Southwest Acorn Squash
from Ambitious Kitchen
2 acorn squash, halved length-wise, stem and seeds removed
1 tsp. olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped small
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
1 - 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups corn kernels
1 tsp. cumin
1 lime, juiced
salt and pepper
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
4 Tbs. crumbled goat cheese
1. Pre-heat oven to 400F. Grease a baking sheet with oil (separate from the listed 1 tsp.), and place the squash halves cut-side down on the sheet.
2. Bake for 45 minutes, or until tender and edges are browning. Turn off oven and leave squash in oven while preparing the filling.
3. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add oil, red pepper, onion, garlic, and jalapeño and cook until softened (~3 mins). Then add cumin, beans, and corn and stir well to combine, cooking a couple more minutes.
4. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro and lime juice. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Fill squash halves with bean and corn mixture, and top with a tablespoon of goat cheese each and serve.