With the tzatziki, falafel, this pita bread, and my hummus recipe, this created an epic dinner of deliciousness.
from The New Moosewood
1 cup luke-warm water
1 1/2 t. yeast
1 T. sugar
1 t. salt
3 1/2 c. flour
1. Place the water in a bowl, and sprinkle in yeast. Let stand for 5 mins.
2. Add sugar and salt, and stir until dissolved.
3. Add 3 cups of flour, 1 cup at a time. First cup, whisk in. Second cup, use a wooden spoon to mix. Last cup, use your hands to knead it in. Knead in the bowl, adding flour until it's not sticky.
4. Cover bowl with saran wrap and let rise for an hour.
5. Punch down dough and knead on a floured surface for 5 mins.
6. Preheat oven to 500 F.
7. Divide dough into 6 pieces. Knead each piece for a few minutes, then flatten with a rolling pin into 1/8 inch diameters. Let rest for 30 mins.
8. Place baking tray in oven for a couple minutes. Then take out, spray with oil, and put pitas on. Cook for 6-8 mins.
9. Remove pitas from pan, wrap in a clean, moist towel, and place in a paper bag for 15 minutes to soften.