Monday, September 20, 2010

Hummus


Hummus is such a great food. I really came to appreciate it this summer, when forced to eat dining hall food for two and a half months straight. It can help you with that 'I'm starving because they don't server any vegetarian entrees' feeling, while being healthy.

My favorite hummus recipe is called Turbo Hummus, from the great Alton Brown. My favorite part about this recipe is that it calls for peanut butter in place of tahini, a tasty but very expensive item that goes bad quickly.


Hummus
Adapted from Alton Brown's Turbo Hummus

Ingredients:
3 cloves garlic
1 can garbanzo beans
2 1/2 T creamy peanut butter
2 T lemon juice
1/4 t ground pepper
1/4 t ground sea salt
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Instructions:
1. Mince garlic.
2. Drain garbanzo beans into a liquid measuring cup.
3. Add garlic, garbanzo beans, peanut butter, lemon juice, pepper, and salt to a blender. Blend until mostly creamy, but with some visible chunks left.
4. Slowly add evoo as blending the hummus, until reaching desired consistency (you may not use all the oil. I didn't, as I prefer my hummus more sticky, less runny)

Option: In the future, I would love to do this recipe with almond butter instead of peanut butter. I think it would be a great result, as I feel almonds are more like sesame seeds, and thus more similar to tahini.

No comments:

Post a Comment