Monday, June 6, 2011
Super tasty. I've made this recipe 3 times now. My family gives it two thumbs up, though they like it better when I saute the bean sprouts in with the rest of the ingredients.
adapted from about.com
3 cloves garlic
1 thumb-size piece of ginger
2 green onions
1 t. cayenne pepper
1/2 cup shredded cabbage
6 shiitake mushrooms (or other mushrooms), sliced into matchstick sized pieces
1/2 cup firm tofu, sliced into matchstick pieces
2 cups bean sprouts
1/2 cup fresh basil
2 T. oil, plus more for frying
1 package egg roll wrappers
2 T. soy sauce
2 T. vegetarian stir-fry sauce
2 T. lemon juice (or lime)
1/2 t. sugar
1. Put the 2 T. oil into a pan, and heat to medium-high heat.
2. In a bowl, combine soy sauce, stir-fry sauce, lime juice, and sugar. Mix until sugar is dissolved.
3. Mince garlic, peel and grate ginger, and chop shallots into match stick sized pieces. Combine all plus the the cayenne pepper into the pan. Sauté until fragrant
4. Add mushrooms, cabbage, and tofu to pan. Then add soy sauce mixture and basil. Cook until vegetables are softened.
5. Pour mixture into mixing bowl, and toss with bean sprouts.
6. Pour oil into a fry-safe pan (not tefalon), until about 1 1/2 in. deep. Heat on medium high heat, until you can drop a bit of egg roll wrapper in and it starts to bubble and cook immediately, but not so hot that it starts to blacken quickly, or so that the oil smokes.
7. Place an egg roll wrapper so a corner is facing you. Put filling in the top half, leaving 1/2 inches unfilled around the edge of that half. Then, start to roll top corner down over the filling. Once the half way mark has been reached, fold each side corner over so that no filling is showing, and finish rolling downwards. Once you get to the end, seal the final corner (the one closest to you) to the roll by dabbing a little bit of water between it and the rest of the roll.
8. Place rolls in oil, and cook until golden brown in color with bubbly crust.
9. Use tongs to take out of oil, and drain on plate lined with paper towels.