Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Oat Taco Salad


I was actually impressed with myself on this one. It turned out deliciously! I had no idea oats would make such a good taco salad base. This came about because 1. I remember reading about oat taco salad on a oats-dedicated blog a bit ago (unfortunately I couldn't find it to site it, but that was my inspiration) and 2. it used up many things in my cupboard (and I'm trying to use up everything before I move out of this apartment! Only a little over 2 weeks to go)

Oat Taco Salad

serves 2

Ingredients:
3 cups milk
1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
1 T. taco seasoning
1 green bell pepper, sliced lengthwise into strips
1/4 c. cheddar cheese
1/4 cup salsa
1/4 t. salt
oil

Instructions:
1. Put milk and salt into a sauce pan, and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring the bottom of the pan frequently to avoid milk sticking to the bottom. Once milk is boiling, add oats and taco seasoning. Stir oats (scrapping the bottom of the pan) until milk has completely soaked into oats, and it is very thickened up (almost hard to stir). This will take 10 minutes or more.
2. Heat a skillet to medium heat. Add bell pepper strips and oil, and saute bell pepper until soft.
3. Place the thickened oats on a plate or bowl, then top with the sauteed bell pepper, cheddar cheese, and salsa (and any other toppings desired, such as sour cream, shredded lettuce, sliced black olives, jalapeƱos). Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment