This recipe turned out absolutely superbly. I'll definitely be making this again for my family over the summer.
adapted from Sophistimom
1 large potato, scrubbed
1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
any toppings desired (I used some left-over sour cream dill dip)
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Using a sharp knife, cut down the potato width-wise 3/4 the way down about every 2 cms along the length of the potato. Make sure not to cut all the way through your potato!
3. Stuff a thin slice of garlic into each crevice, making sure to use all garlic slices, and cutting some slices into half if there aren't enough.
4. Place potato into a pan (I used a cake pan, worked nicely). Drizzle olive oil slowly and evenly over top of the potato. Salt to taste.
5. Cover oven pan (I placed another cake pan on top) to avoid splattering, and place into oven. cook for 1 hour.
6. After the hour is up, place oven-friendly toppings on potato (cheese, sour cream, bacon, etc.) and place potato, uncovered, back into the oven for 5 minutes.
7. Take out, place non-oven friendly toppings on potato (chives, etc) and serve immediately.