Monday, April 11, 2011

Eggs Florentine


This is from one of the many vegetarian cook books my family has given me over the years. This is not my favorite one, I don't suggest it. It turned out rather unflavorful. That being said, I'm still glad I made it, because it was my first successful milk-flour thickening experience. For future implementations of this recipe, I think adding some salt and sharp cheese to the spinach before it's layered into the pan would greatly improve this.


One of the awesome girls in my club has a family that raises chickens of all types, and she brought several dozen eggs to the club meeting last week. That inspired me to find an awesome egg recipe to let these babies shine, instead of just scrambling them like I normally do for breakfast, or putting them in an egg and cheese quesadilla.




Eggs Florentine
adapted from The Big Book of Vegetarian

Ingredients:
2 - 10 oz. packages of chopped spinach, thawed and drained
4 large eggs
2 T. flour
1/4 t. salt
3 dashes of paprika (+ more for sprinkling)
1 1/3 cup milk
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese(+ more for sprinkling)
4 English muffins, split and toasted
salt and pepper to garnish
Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Grease a 9" cake pan, and press spinach evenly into the bottom. With a spoon, make 4 egg-sized indents. Crack the four eggs into each of the four indents.
3. In a medium sauce pan, combined the flour, salt, and paprika. Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until well blended. Place over medium heat, whisking constantly, until thick (8 mins)
4. Remove sauce pan from heat, add Parmesan, and whisk until combined. Pour sauce over eggs.
5. Sprinkle with a little extra Parmesan cheese and paprika, and bake for 25 mins.
6. Cut the spinach-egg bake into 4 portions, and serve each portion over 2 toasted English muffin halves. Salt and pepper to taste (it will need both)

No comments:

Post a Comment