Monday, July 25, 2011
This definitely tasted like jambalaya, which is why I think I wasn't a huge fan. It was too meaty, in texture and taste. My brother requested this dish, and since he's been so awesome in helping me in the kitchen this summer, I was glad to oblige.
adapted from globetrotter
1 lb. Yves vegetarian shrimp
2 - 8 oz. bags MorningStar chick'n strips
1 - 12 oz. bag MorningStar sausage style crumbles
3 1/2 cups better-than-chicken vegetarian chicken broth
1 Tbs. shrimp boil
1 large onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, minces
1 - 28 oz. can whole tomatoes, drained, juice reserved
2 cups long grain rice
salt and pepper
1. Combine vegetarian chicken broth, shrimp boil, and vegetarian shrimp. Boil for 30 mins.
2. In a skillet, combine 1 Tbs. or so oil and sausage crumbles, and sauté on medium-high until caramelized (about 10 minutes). Set aside in a large mixing bowl.
3. Saute in about 1 Tbs. oil the chick'n strips on medium high, until golden brown on most sides. Add to large mixing bowl.
4. Add to skillet oil 1/4 cup reserved tomato juice, onion, garlic, and tomatoes and sauté until soft, chopping the tomatoes into pieces with your spoon as you stir. Add to mixing bowl.
5. Add contents of mixing bowl along with uncooked rice and salt and pepper (to taste) to the shrimp pot. Mix, and then cover the pot and cook for 35 mins on low heat.
6. When the time has elapsed, take the pot off the heat and let sit for 10 minutes more before serving.