Tuesday, January 11, 2011
This is one of my classic recipes, and I've been making it for years. Deliciousness!
Look at the shiny-ness of that Walmart pepper. You just know it's covered in wax.
Stuffed Bell Peppers with Rice, Tomatoes, and Vegetarian Sausage Crumbles
1 cup uncooked rice
2 large bell peppers
1/2 cup morning star italian sausage crumbles
3 oz. tomato paste
1/4 cup prepared tomato sauce
shredded cheese for sprinkling (I used a cheddar mix)
1 T. olive oil
1. Place rice and 1.5 cups water into a sauce pan, place over high heat. When it comes to a boil, immediately turn down to low heat, and cover with a lid. Cook for 15 mins.
2. Preheat oven to 375 F, and heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
3. Saute the it sausage crumbles until desired texture (either just warmed up, or crispy)
4. Combine cooked rice, crumbles, tomato paste, and tomato sauce.
5. Cut the peppers in half length-wise, cut out stem, and remove seeds and the white edging to make a nice hollow opening.
6. Using a regular sized spoon, stuff the peppers as much as possible. You will probably have some of the rice mixture left over.
7. Place peppers on a baking sheet or pizza pan, and top the peppers with cheese, making sure to clean up any spilled cheese from the pan.
8. Bake for 40 minutes in oven.