Sunday, January 30, 2011

Random Food Adventures

So I don't do much blog-blogging. I just like to share recipes I've found, modified, or created. But, there are some things I'd like to share that don't particularly have a recipe, or I'm unwilling to share. First of all:
My roommate and I had make baked goods for the tenants in the other 5 apartments in our complex. This time, we made white and chocolate almond bark covered mini pretzels, ms. field's blue ribbon chocolate chip cookies, and some coconut macaroons (not made by us unfortunately). I will eventually remake and post the chocolate chip cookie recipe, but the thing is our crappy hand mixer died at the beginning of this adventure, so I couldn't properly cream the butter and sugars, and it killed the texture. I'm bringing a new one back up to the apt. this weekend (I was at home to watch the KU vs K-state basketball game at Allen field house on KU campus. EXCELLENT times). If I'm a very lucky girl, one of my friends who lives in the dorm will decide to bring up her kitchen aide and let me host the baby. I'd take very good care of it... We'll see. Anyhow, some of the people we were going to deliver baked goods to were not at home. Thus, my roomie came up with this excellent ransom note. : ) It reads:
ATTENTION :
WE ARE HOLDING YOUR BAKED GOODS HOSTAGE. IF YOU DO NOT WISH TO SEE THEM DEVOURED BY TERRIFYING SPACE MONKEYS, MEET US AT APARTMENT SIX. COME ALONE, THE PASSWORD IS SWORDFISH.

Next thing on the list: Kaiser rolls from "The Bread Baker's Apprentice". I'm quite pleased with myself. This was many days in the making. I'm not going to share the recipe (for some reason I have more regard for the sanctity of things in books), but just know it was super awesome, with very nice, explicit instructions. As I said, though, it takes many days. The bread base takes starting and overnight, then the rolls themselves take all day to do the steps, which go something like (do x, wait 45 mins, do x, wait 2 hours, do x, wait 2 hours, do x, wait 20 mins, do x, wait 45 mins, do x, wait 20 mins, cook for 30 mins)


Below: Quite possibly one of the best food blog pictures I've yet to take.


No comments:

Post a Comment