This.... was delicious. I know it's lots of work if you make the gnocchi by hand the same evening, and I know it takes a lot of costly cheese ingredients, and I'm sure I gained several pounds from this. But it's all worth it. Serious deliciousness.
Gnocchi Gratin with Blue Cheese
from Bon Appetit
~100 gnocchi, uncooked (one recipe found here)
1 cup creme fraiche (or heavy cream)
3.5 oz. finely grated Parmesan
1 tsp. rosemary
a 1/4" slice fresh ginger
2 Tbs. butter, room temperature
4 heaping Tbs. fine dried breadcrumbs
4 oz. blue cheese (mild type)
1. Pre-heat oven to 375 F (190 C) and a large pot of water until boiling.
2. Heat the creme, ginger, and rosemary in a sauce pan until boiling, then take off the heat, cover, and set aside.
2. Butter a 1.5 qt. baking dish or gratin dish with half the butter (anything with sides and as much surface area as possible.
3. Once pot of water is boiling, in batches (12 or so) cook the gnocchi until they float to the top, placing them in the buttered dish when done.
4. After all the gnocchi is cooked, take the ginger slice out of the creme, and mix the creme in with the gnocchi.
5. Crumble the blue cheese on top of the gnocchi/creme mixture.
6. Mix 1 tbs. of butter with the breadcrumbs and 3 Tbs. Parmesan, and spread on top.
7. Finally sprinkle the remaining 2.5 oz. grated Parmesan on top of the mixture, and put in the oven for 25-30 mins until top is bubbling and browned.