Friday, January 13, 2012
adapted from flourishing foodie
1 pre-made pie crust
3/4 cups sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
2 large eggs
1 3/4 cups (15 oz.) roasted pumpkin
12 fl. oz. evaporated milk
(1 cup. heavy cream, 1 Tbs. vanilla sugar for whipped cream if desired)
If using real pumpkin:
1. Pre-heat oven to 325F (160 C), cut into 1" or 2" cubes, removing skin, and place in baking pan (with 2 inch lip). Cover with foil, and bake for 90 minutes, or until meat is tender.
2. Into blender, take pumpkin chunks out of oven-pan, removing from the liquid that has separated during the baking and blend. Then pour puree into paper-towel lined colander, and press until liquid does not surface to the top.
3. Pre-heat oven to 400 F (205 C).
4. Butter pie/tart pan, and lay dough into the pan, and trim excess. Freeze for 20 minutes.
5. In medium bowl, mix sugar, cinnamon, salt, and cloves.
6. In large bowl, beat eggs with whisk. Add pumpkin puree and sugar mixture and whisk.
7. Slowly add evaporated milk, and whisk until all ingredients are combined.
8. Pour pumpkin filling into pie crust. In small bowl, whisk 1 egg white and 1 Tbs. water. Brush crust with egg wash, then cover crust with tin foil.
9. Cook for 15 minutes at 400 F (205 C), then reduce heat to 350 F (175 C) and cook for 35 minutes.
10. Remove pie from oven, remove tin-foil, and cook for last 15 minutes at 350 F (175 C).
11. Let pie sit for 2 hours before serving.
12. Beat vanilla sugar and heavy cream until desired consistency, and serve with pie.