Thursday, March 31, 2011
I found an excellent recipe online for a homemade tofurkey, so when my friend David came into town, we made a full-blown thanksgiving meal : )
Adapted from about.com
3 - 18 oz. packages firm tofu
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. dried rosemary
1 tsp. dried sage
2 crushed vegetable bullion cubes
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup red wine
2 Tbs. mustard
2 Tbs. soy sauce
2 cups stuffing
1. Line colander with cheese cloth (or thin towel) and put on a plate with a lip. Blend all tofu until smooth and creamy. Mix in dried thyme, rosemary, sage, and bullion cubes. Pour mixture into colander.
2. Let mixture drain in the fridge for 3 hours.
3. Pre-heat oven for 350F.
4. Take tofu mixture out of fridge, and scoop out a center into a bowl, leaving about an inch and a half shell of tofu. Fill cavity with stuffing, and put the tofu that was scooped out back on top, and smooth out until flat.
5. Place an oven-safe pan with a tall lip over the colander, and carefully but swiftly turn both the colander and pan upside down, so the tofurkey is in the oven save pan. Remove cheese cloth/towel.
6. Mix together balsamic vinegar, mustard, red wine, and soy sauce. Brush mixture onto roast until evenly coated.
7. Place tofurkey into oven. Every 15 mintues, take out, and apply more of the balsamic baste to the tofurkey, cooking for 90 minutes total.