Saturday, August 17, 2013

Rosemary-infused Simple Syrup


This simple syrup can be used in all kinds of drinks that call for simple syrup. I was inspired when I saw a recipe for muddled basil and gin with simple syrup. I got a costco-sized bottle of store-brand gin a few months back and it's laid untouched ever since. I had a party to go to, so it was a great excuse to get back into the kitchen and cook up something using the rosemary I had growing in my little garden. I ended up making a drink that was about equal parts gin and simple syrup plus fresh lemon juice, shaken with ice and served with a sprig of rosemary over ice. This syrup makes great herby summer cocktails, and other aromatic herbs can substituted for the rosemary (like thyme or sage). I would encourage you to make a double or triple batch, as this ran out mighty fast.


Rosemary-infused Simple Syrup
from The Kitchn

Ingredients:
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
4 sprigs fresh rosemary

Instructions:
1. In a medium sauce pan over medium-high heat, stir together ingredients.
2. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Let boil for 1 minute until sugar is disolved.
3. Remove from heat and let stand for 30 minutes. Pour through a thin clean cloth or wire mesh and store in an airtight container, disgarding sprigs of rosemary.
4. Cover and chill for 4 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment