Monday, October 11, 2010

Ground cherry tart



So, when my parents came up for visit day, I strategically brought them to the Kirksville farmers market on Saturday. While there, one of the farmers let us try ground cherries, something I'd never heard of before. I really enjoyed them! They're like baby tomatillos, and , like tomatillos, they come in nature's gift wrap, because they're a present. : ) So I decided to make a ground cherry tart. I substituted Grand-brand biscuits for puff pastry (you can always use store-bought or homemade puff pastry in this recipe!). But, if you decide to go with store-bought biscuits, I insist you buy Grand. With many things, generic brands are fine. But with canned biscuits? I have learned it's simply not worth it to save that extra dollar.





Ground cherry and pesto tart

Ingredients:
1 pint ground cherries
1 can Grand-brand flakey buttermilk biscuits
6 T. pesto
1/2 t. fresh ground pepper

Instructions:
1. Set oven to 350 degrees.
2. Peel and soak all the ground cherries. Then drain. Do this 2 times. Then, cut all in half.
3. Take out all 8 biscuits, cut each in half, and layer them in a sort of criss-crossing grid pattern, so no gaps. Then, squish them all together, creating a crust on the edges, and pushing the dough outwards from the middle.
4. Spread pesto onto pastry layer.
5. Put all halved ground cherries on top, and spread evenly. Sprinkle with the pepper.
6. Place in oven and cook for 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment