Even though it's Halloween, it was still warm enough to go outside and grill! Connie and I made DELICIOUS grilled veggie sandwiches. Like, better than any other grilled sandwich I've ever had, and I've had a lot seeing as it's generally one of the few options at restaurants.
Grilled Veggie Sandwiches with Pesto-Mayo
Veggies of choice (zucchini, mushrooms, green bell pepper, onion, grape tomatoes)
2 T. mayonnaise
1 T. pesto
3 sun-dried tomatoes, minced
1 T. crumbled feta
2 T. butter
1. Set up grill: put coals into charcoal chimney, light with cardboard underneath, and let burn until coals at top turn gray on top (15 mins). Then, pour coals evenly in bottom of grill, spreading out with a stick if they pile. Wait until all charcoals have stopped flaming entirely.
2. Slice zucchini, green bell pepper, and onion in to lengths. Quarter mushrooms, and quarter tomatoes.
3. Make a boat with tin foil. Put on grill, place butter, onions, and mushrooms in.
4. Lay on grill over coals the sliced zucchini and bell peppers. Brush with olive oil. Slice bread into sandwich-sized pieces, and brush with olive oil on cut side.
5. After letting the zucchini and other veggies grill for 7 mins or so, flip peppers and zucchini. Give the mushrooms and onion a stir, and place bread cut side down on grill. Grill all for another 7 mins.
6. Combine mayo, pesto, feta, and sun-dried tomatoes.
7. Take veggies off grill (we left our veggies all on the grill, and put them in the tin foil so they would stay warm for round 2 of sandwiches). Assemble sandwiches, spreading with mayo-mix, and layering with zucchini, onion, tomatoes, mushrooms, and bell peppers. Enjoy!