It's been a long time. I'll be honest: I've been busy. Completely renovating a humongous century home with your friends, being fought tooth and nail by your mother, working full time in tech, doing grad school in the evenings, and throwing yourself fully into a relationship with your Canadian lover keeps a gal busy.
BUT! Somehow, I'm developing a rhythm in the chaos and I'm starting to get back into one of my favorite things: cooking! I'll have to update my profile, as I'm no longer a vegetarian (!!!) After 10 years of commitment, the hectic-ness of my life and the physical labor involved with renovations tipped me over the edge into eating for my new life style. I hope to soon find the balance between meat and veg, but that's something I'm working on.
At work, I've been part of project room, so there's been 7-9 of us in this interior meeting room that's been converted for the purposes of this project, for the last 6 months or so. We have a snack table, and one of my Indian co-workers brought in pitted dates. Folks tried them, but many decided they didn't like dates. For many, it was their first exposure to them! So, I asked him if it was alright for me to bring them home and bring date-products back that perhaps people would like more. He was fine with it, so voila! The first of several date recipes. This one was a hit; every single person said they liked it, even those who said they didn't like dates. #win
Almond stuffed chocolate covered dates
12-15 dates, pitted
12-15 almonds (raw or toasted)
1 chocolate bar (I recommend dark, but I happened to have milk on hand)
1. Break up the chocolate into a bowl. Microwave until melted, stopping every 10 seconds to stir and check.
2. Prepare a platter with wax paper.
3. Slip an almond into each date.
4. Using a fork, drop a almond-stuffed date into the melted chocolate, roll around in the bowl until well coated in chocolate, then place on wax paper. Repeat with all remaining almond stuffed dates.
5. Place plate in refrigerator for at least an hour until chocolate is set. Serve.